Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's Not A Date

It’s important that both men understand what constitutes a date versus just hanging out. All of the scenarios I mention below are perfectly okay if we are in a committed relationship or we have been seeing each other for a while.

I’m not trying to break into your wallet and milk you for ever penny you worked hard to make. I just want to spend time getting to know you and finding out if we have common interests and chemistry. In order for that to happen, you should first be creative and plan a date. Like a real date. Like a date date, not a kick-it. If you’re not sure what distinguishes a real date from just “kickin it” or “hangin out” let me explain.

It’s not a date, if you invite yourself over to my house to watch a movie. You think I’m dumb enough to let you roam through my refrigerator (cuz yo ass surely didn’t bring anything to eat) and then sit too close to me during the entire movie. It’s not happening.

It’s not a date, if you invite me to meet you at your friends’ party. There will be 300+ other people there, music blasting and plenty of time to not learn anything new about each other, other than that we know how to bump and grind in sync.

It’s not a date, if I have to open my wallet to pay for my own meal when this is the first time we have gone out together and you didn’t tell me the plan before hand. I am not above going Dutch, but I don’t need to find out our dating arrangements after I’m done feasting on Filet Mignon grubbing.

It’s not a date, if you invite me to your house to cook something that was already in your refrigerator. If you had to go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients, I might give you a pass.

Guys, I know it’s a recession and all, but please don’t think we can kick-it and call it a date. It’s not a date and I’m not fallin for it. Putting forth some effort in getting to know me and doing something I like is not only appreciated- it’s required.

No comments: