Monday, February 16, 2009

Unchartered Territory: Meet my best-friend

Within the past week, Mr. AOS and I had picked up where we left off. When we hung out, it didn’t seem like 8 months had passed since we had been around each other. I really enjoy spending time with him. He knows how to make me laugh and keeps me on my toes. He makes me feel 16 all over again, but this time, it’s not just a fleeting feeling. We have history.

The week prior, my best friend Izzie had tentatively scheduled her birthday celebration for that Friday. This was her big 25; important to say the least. There was no way I was going to miss the celebration. We had been through so much together, and this was yet another milestone.

It didn’t dawn on me when Mr. AOS asked me to join him at the movies that Friday, that it was the same day. He hadn’t seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, and I didn’t mind seeing it twice. I was so happy to be seeing him again that I didn’t think of saying anything but yes to his invitation.

When Izzie mentioned her birthday plans again later in the week, I realized what I had done, but didn’t know what was I going to do to correct my mistake? Izzie would kill me if I missed her birthday party, but I didn’t want to cancel with Mr. AOS because I really did want to see him.

What do I do? I frantically checked the movie times at the local valley theather. There were two showtimes after the regular 9-5 work hours.

Slumdog Millionaire 7:10pm and 10:00pm

There was no way we were going to make it to the 7:10 with rush hour LA traffic. If we went to the 10:00 show, I would never make it to downtown. By the time we saw the movie, it would have been too late to leave Simi Valley (yes he lives 30 minutes away without traffic), leave him at his house and head to Downtown LA alone in Friday night traffic.

How was I going to fit both events into one night?

The obvious solution was not that obvious to me right away.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t introduce guys I’m dating to my friends. The only guy since my ex to meet my friends was Detroit. The only reason I felt comfortable of enough introducing him to anyone was, a) I had known him for about 2 years by that point, and b) we were no longer dating. It’s weird, I know. My friends are like my family, so I hold their opinions very highly.

I spent the next couple of days trying to think of what to do. I wanted to do both.

Solution: Bring Mr. AOS to Izzie’s birthday party. If we left the valley early enough, we could watch the movie, which was playing at a downtown LA theater at 10:10pm, and drive 5 minutes to the lounge.

Perfect!

I asked Mr. AOS if he wouldn’t mind going to my friends’ party after the movie. I knew he didn’t really like being in the club/lounge scene so I had an entire explanation laid out. I was ready to argue that this was my best-friend and that it was important for me to be there for her. Luckily, it wasn’t necessary. Mr. AOS readily and speedily obliged.

2 comments:

IZZIE said...

ummm no boo... if my mind serves me correctly i aimed you what to text AOS. lol get it right.

IZZIE

Silent Scorpion said...

You aimed me after I already planned on asking him.