Thursday, September 24, 2009

Second Date: It's Cool I Got It

Picture this: You had such a great time, or it was at least bearable and have decided to go out again. This time I try something a little different. The most common reaction I have gotten is a look of surprise when I pull out my credit card. I then watch my dates face cringe and twist into ways I’ve never seen before. Most of the time when I say, “It’s cool I got it,” my male dates don’t know how to act but that’s not always the case.

“Oh really, you got it, cool?” (While looking relieved they don’t have to use their last few dollars on one dinner.)

“Ummm, no that’s okay. I got it.” (While giving me the, ‘I’m a man and I’m here to take care of you’ look.)

“Well let me at least take care of the tip.” (While looking a bit defeated but wanting to at least contribute to our meal.)

I always pay close attention to theses responses. Now mind you, I won’t pull my credit card out if I don’t actually have some type of interest in the guy I am sharing a table with. If I have absolutely no interest in seeing you again, trust me, I aint budging when the check comes.

If you utter any words that sound remotely like this before I willingly pull out my credit card : “You got this one right, since I paid for the last one, right?!?!?!” you better believe, no I aint got it and yes this is the last time I will be seeing you.

Why is it that some men feel so emasculated by a woman paying the bill while others expect their dates to contribute at least something or even half the time? I know after my experience earlier this year I will no longer pay for a first date.


I personally don’t like paying when I feel it is expected, but I don’t mind picking up a few bills every once in a while since I recognize that dating is expensive. I actually think women should sincerely offer to pick a bill when dating. Men shouldn’t always be expected to pull out their credit cards but men should know how much they can and cannot afford and stay within those boundaries. I don’t need an expensive date to have fun.

Creativity is attractive.

What is your opinion? Does Ne-Yo have it right?

Ladies, How many times have you said, “Its cool, I got it.”

Should women pay for half of dates?

No comments: