Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Date: It's Cool You Got It

Picture this: You’re out on a first date with a person I hope you have some interest in. The waiter will come to the table to drop off the bill. Nine times out of ten, if they are a woman, they will place the bill directly in front of the male. If it is a male waiter, there is a 50/50 chance that the bill will be placed at the center of the table or directly in front of the male. I have rarely ever gone out and found that a waiter or waitress places the bill in front of the woman.

What you do at this point says a lot about your character. (Both male and female)

If I’m not interested, the scenario will play out like this and believe that I’m so smooth, I won’t even flinch. I’ll look you straight in your eye and wait for your response. The bill will be placed at the table and I will continue our conversation as if nothing has happened. If he is a gentleman, he will immediately pick up the bill, without looking completely disgusted at our total, place his AMEX or Visa inside the folder and continue our conversation. I have a sly way of checking out what type of tip is left as well- points will be docked from cheap asses immediately.

Who should pay for a first date? Should the person that extended the invitation pay?


Call me old fashioned, or a penny pinchin copper (I know its a recession) digger but I think a man should always pay for a first date. I’m all for exerting my independent nature in other areas of my life, but when it comes to dating, I like to be treated like a lady.

Clearly there will be some women who will insist on paying for the first date, but I think a good rule of thumb for men is to assume he’s paying. Its a simple gesture but it says so much. It shows that a man can lead and has the instinct to provide. If on a first date I get any indication that he is a tightwad, it will probably be our last date.

Paying has nothing to do with the money, I just appreciate being treated with some degree of chivalry.

Originally Posted in July

No comments: