Monday, May 18, 2009

Making it Count: R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Part 2

The drive from LA to San Diego is a complete blur. Time seemed to drag in anticipation of 11 o’clock. I kept a smooth steady pace the entire ride. What good would I be if I was pulled over on the way for speeding?

By 10, I reached the San Diego International Airport exit. I was an hour early with nothing to do. I stopped at a local grocery store to kill some time. Although I had never been to the SD Airport, I knew that I couldn’t park there, for free, for an hour and wait. I didn’t actually need anything so when 10:45 came; I walked right out and headed straight to my car.

When I arrived at airport, I drove around trying to familiarize myself with the layout. The airport only had 3 terminals.

At that moment, my phone rang. “How was the drive?”

“It wasn’t that bad actually,” I replied, “Where are you?”

“We just landed and they are letting us off the plane. I’ll meet you outside the American Airlines baggage claim.” Chicago replied.

“Okay, I’m here so I’ll be waiting outside in a [insert color and model of my car],” I responded.

I circled the airport one more time and finally stopped at the American Airline terminal.

I parked and sat in the driver seat. I had agreed a few weeks before to drive his coworker and wife to his same hotel. So I was on the lookout for a couple and one single black male. The terminal was filled with Caucasian flyers so I knew I would be able to spot him right away.

Should I wait outside at the curb? Should I stay in the car? I didn’t know what to do with myself.

I saw three bodies head towards my car. I remained in the driver seat as I waived their way and popped my truck.

As they piled their bags into my car, I debated whether or not I should get out and help.

Get out of the damn car, I exclaimed to myself. As I headed toward the trunk, I took a moment to check out Chicago. He was much taller than I remembered and I could see the slight definition of his arms showing from underneath his sweater.

“It’s good to see you. You’re a lot cuter than I remember,” Chicago said as he gave me a long embrace.

As we held each other I couldn’t help but smell his cologne; he smelled nice. “It's good seeing you too,” I replied.

Chicago introduced me to my soon to be passengers. After we exchanged hello’s, we headed to the hotel.

After everyone got their room keys, we agreed to meet in the lobby in a couple of hours. Chicago grabbed my bag and we walked to our room. "Chivalry isn't dead," I commented.

"Of course not," he smiled and replied.

Chicago asked me about my drive and caught up on the past few hours of our respective mornings. He was both attentive and interested in everything I had to say. I felt so comfortable being around him. I immediately felt my guard slowly coming down. Although this was the first time I was seeing him in person since last November, I felt like no time had passed since our last meeting.

He opened the hotel room to let me in. Chivalry check. Courtesy check. Cuteness check, check.

So far, so good, I thought.

I walked into the room and noticed their were two Queen-sized beds. I turned and looked at him in amazement.

Two beds...

No comments: