Thursday, June 25, 2009

Read This: Why Marriage Is For White People

Installment IV

I truly hope that I never become this pessimistic about marriage and its importance in my life. I can't see my life without it. Aside from all of my professional accomplishments, having a family I can care for will always rank high on my list of goals. I couldn't imagine removing a marriage and a husband from that equation.

Check out the article, 'Marriage is for White People,' by Joy Jones, a Washington writer, the author of "Between Black Women: Listening With the Third Ear."


For years, I wondered why not. And then some 12-year-olds enlightened me.

"Marriage is for white people."

That's what one of my students told me some years back when I taught a career exploration class for sixth-graders at an elementary school in Southeast Washington. I was pleasantly surprised when the boys in the class stated that being a good father was a very important goal to them, more meaningful than making money or having a fancy title.

"That's wonderful!" I told my class. "I think I'll invite some couples in to talk about being married and rearing children."

"Oh, no," objected one student. "We're not interested in the part about marriage. Only about how to be good fathers."

And that's when the other boy chimed in, speaking as if the words left a nasty taste in his mouth: "Marriage is for white people."

.........

How have we gotten here? What has shifted in African American customs, in our community, in our consciousness, that has made marriage seem unnecessary or unattainable?

.........

Among African Americans, the desire for marriage seems to have a different trajectory for women and men. My observation is that black women in their twenties and early thirties want to marry and commit at a time when black men their age are more likely to enjoy playing the field. As the woman realizes that a good marriage may not be as possible or sustainable as she would like, her focus turns to having a baby, or possibly improving her job status, perhaps by returning to school or investing more energy in her career.

.........

Most single black women over the age of 30 whom I know would not mind getting married, but acknowledge that the kind of man and the quality of marriage they would like to have may not be likely, and they are not desperate enough to simply accept any situation just to have a man. A number of my married friends complain that taking care of their husbands feels like having an additional child to raise. Then there's the fact that marriage apparently can be hazardous to the health of black women. A recent study by the Institute for American Values, a nonpartisan think tank in New York City, indicates that married African American women are less healthy than their single sisters.

By design or by default, black women cultivate those skills that allow them to maintain themselves (or sometimes even to prosper) without a mate.

"If Jesus Christ bought me an engagement ring, I wouldn't take it," a separated thirty-something friend told me. "I'd tell Jesus we could date, but we couldn't marry."

................

A black male acquaintance had a different prediction. "I don't believe marriage is going to be extinct, but I think you'll see fewer people married," he said. "It's a bad thing. I believe it takes the traditional family -- a man and a woman -- to raise kids." He has worked with troubled adolescents, and has observed that "the girls who are in the most trouble and who are abused the most -- the father is absent. And the same is true for the boys, too." He believes that his presence and example in the home is why both his sons decided to marry when their girlfriends became pregnant.

But human nature being what it is, if marriage is to flourish -- in black or white America -- it will have to offer an individual woman something more than a business alliance, a panacea for what ails the community, or an incubator for rearing children. As one woman said, "If it weren't for the intangibles, the allure of the lovey-dovey stuff, I wouldn't have gotten married. The benefits of marriage are his character and his caring. If not for that, why bother?"


Click here for the full article

1 comment:

AssertiveWit said...

If I would have heard ANY kid say "marriage is for white people" I would have QUICKLY corrected them and said, "no, it's for people who WANT to be AND stay married, honey".

We live in a day and age where EVERYONE has a plethora of options as to what they want to do with their lives and I think people are REALLY taking advantage of that. Back in the day, it was this or that. Now it's this, this, this, this, etc. It's going on in EVERY culture. I would only encourage someone to take the route of marriage if they are willing to give their all because anyone who gets married simply to fill a void or because they are pregnant STILL aren't getting married for the "right" reasons.

Marriage was supposed to mean SOMETHING; it was supposed to signify HOW MUCH someone meant to you and I think that is LOST across the board with EVERYONE.

People just don't care like they used to...