Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hi Stranger

In my inbox: Hi Stranger

A guy I’ve been seeing off and on for the past year (more off than on) sent me the ‘Hi Stranger’ message. Against my better judgment I replied. Immediately changing the subject to more current subject like “How was your day?” After a few short exchanges, he replied with, “You know you owe me a visit.”

Do you want to guess how I replied?

If you’ve been paying attention to my posts, you know I didn’t.

If you ever get the urge to send this to an ex female companion, DON’T. An out of the blue message, or phone call (I don’t think I’ve stressed the importance of a voice conversation enough) should be original. Those two words should not be put together in an openining message; especially when you know why you two no longer speak. The reason it’s such a bad idea is because it has a slight hint of finger pointing. The person sending the message has obviously been thinking about the receiver and instead of just stating that, they question why they have been M.I.A.

Since you obviously plan on rekindling an old flame, know that isn’t going to happen if your opening line is about as original as a Diddy LP.

Introducing the remix. The following are messages that I have received, that made me think, “Whatever happened between us, maybe I should call him back.”

“If you’re not too busy, I’d love to take you out and catch up.” –You’ve already shown that you are not just trying to get in my pants, but that you genuinely want to talk and hear what I have to say. Even if you plan on trying to hit the next time, it’s tolerable since you have fed me. It's a win win.

“How are you doing these days? How is your sister?” –Any reference to my family is both heart warming and shows you didn't confuse me with another girl you used to hang out with that was an only child. It also shows that this is not a mass text message. You know how I have a detective eye for those.

“Are you free tonight? I have a ticket to a Lakers game.” –I’m dropping everything now to pick YOU up. Not only do you remember that I love sports (or whatever activity she may like) but you took the initiative to set up an outing I’d most definitely enjoy.

No comments: