Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Detroit: First Meeting

Wow, it’s almost been 2 years. Time flies when you’re having fun, and even when you’re not sometimes. We’ve had one rollercoaster ride after another, and anyone who knows me knows how terrified I am of heights and of the unexpected that plague those rides. Most of the bumps along our road I have caused and I’m not sure I know how to be any other way with him. So I sit here reflecting on our journey and wonder if it is time for it to end.

I met Detroit in the beginning of 2007. My girl Keisha needed to balance out an evening of poker with a guy friend and his friends and I volunteered my services along with my roommate. I like to meet people and feel that it is much easier to do in a small setting so I figured why not. We meet up at her house and she drove to a small apartment in Pasadena. I wasn’t using my gas so I didn’t mind the journey and neither did my roommate. When we arrived, her friend led us into the condominium. We walked in a single line up two flights of stairs and around a curved hallway. By the time we got close to the door, there were two men standing there to greet us. I laughed in my head. These guys were really eager to see what catch their friend brought them to prey on. I didn’t mind the attention but my roommate wasn’t too excited. I walked in and quickly introduced myself to the two gentlemen. I wasn’t immediately drawn to either of them, but if I was by the end of the night, I wanted to make sure to make a good impression.

Mitney, my Keisha’s friend introduced all of us to Detroit and Trey as we made ourselves comfortable on the living room couch. Trey, the owner of the apartment, was a stumpy little thing in my eyes. At my height, anyone shorter than 6 feet was considered stumpy. Detroit reminded me of John Legend at first glance. He had a small fro and his eyes sort of bugged out of their sockets a bit. Detroit definitely didn’t look like any guy I had ever dated but I didn’t immediately write him off.

Mitney asked us if we wanted something to drink. I could tell he was trying to impress my friend with his hospitality and immediate displace of good manners. By the look on my girl Keisha’s face his attentiveness was winning him some points. I definitely took notice as well when he made it his point to find me a non alcoholic beverage after I declined wine. Guys know the best way to a girl’s heart is through her friends. Her friends are the first one they run to when they are having problems and it couldn’t hurt to have me cheering for him in his corner when she called. I still have pom poms on stand by for him if they decide to give it another try.

A table with 4 seats and a deck of cards was sitting in the middle of the living room surrounded by a love seat, a television and a single chair. This was definitely a bachelor’s pad. I also noticed a small toy behind love seat. It was almost as if all reminisce of kids had been removed and that sole toy had been forgotten. They challenged us to a game of spades and I was ready to whoop some butt. I grew up playing spades, a fact I failed to mention before the games began. Keisha was ready and picked Mitney to be her partner. Detroit ended up being my partner after my roommate said she didn’t want to play and Trey was stuck in the kitchen preparing the tacos.

Right off the bat, Detroit had this sense of humor that made me feel at ease. Throughout the night he kept a smile on my face. In return I kept him on his toes with my sarcastic returns. I find that a man can go either way in response to my humor and I usually curb it accordingly, but Detroit wasn’t easily offended so I laid it on thick. With every comment he made, I had my own and vice versa. It just so happened to be Detroit’s birthday was that same night. Trey, Detroit and Mitney had just returned from a wild weekend trip of celebrations in Vegas and wanted to spend that Sunday home.

By the end of the night, Keisha and Mitney were wrapped up on the couch gazing into one another eyes and making us all jealously sick. My roommates’ eyes were glued to the TV; Trey was in his room arguing with his baby’s mother. Detroit and I were on the couch cracking jokes and scratching the surfaces of our paths. Our conversation never got too deep because we were too busy making each other laugh. Trey came back into the living room after he got off the phone and I knew it was time to go.

It was 2 am on a Sunday and we still had to drive to Keisha’s house and then our own so my roommate voiced her concern. The three of us girls got our things together and Mitney and Detroit walked us to our car. I walked next to my roommate to get her opinion on Detroit and she wasn’t the least bit impressed but could tell that I found his corniness amusing. Detroit had suggested earlier in the night that we all got to the movies the next day but the subject passed without much notice. He decided to offer the idea again and we agreed that we would meet him the next day at the theater. It was obvious that we had an attraction, so instead of directly asking for my number, he made it a group outing. After ten minutes of Mitney and Keisha saying their goodbyes, we were finally on our way home.

No comments: