Thursday, April 22, 2010

Can I have your Facebook?



I’m sorry when did we as generation X become so lazy? Why are young adults (not just men) becoming so freaking lazy. I cannot even begin to express the disdain and disgust I felt when a guy asked me to add him to my Facebook account last week. Really? Has it come to this?

A few months ago I was already having a hard time understanding why a guy I had known for about 20 minutes asked to be added to my Blackberry Messenger. I was sitting in a bar, bored out of my ever loving mind, when a cute guy approached me. We exchanged a few sentences and established interest in each other. He asked to take me to dinner at another time and I happily agreed. Then he pulled out his Blackberry and asked me to display my Blackberry Barcode. He must have seen the look on my face because he immediately followed with a request for my phone number to go along with it.

Rewind a few months before that and I was writing bitching about meeting men who would get my phone number and proceed to text only, including when setting up an outing.

Men have gone from texting, to AIMing, to Email, to BBM and now they're lazy asses are adding me on Facebook? If he would have asked for MySpace I would have spontaneously combusted.

What's next? Twitter?

Am I too old fashioned? Is wanting a guy to ask for my phone number and then proceed to calling me and leaving a voicemail (if I’m busy) asking for too much? If I’m wrong, I don’t want to be right. I’d rather be a part of the quickly vanishing pool that still uses my cell phone to call and talk to people.



I know asking for a number is harder than texting, I know having a verbal conversation before going out takes effort and requires working through nerves versus pulling up a BBM screen. I expect the men who pursue me to call. Notice I didn't say boys. This lazy generation of boys will continue to get no play from me as long as they insist on stepping to me this way. I refuse to partake in such lazy, half ass gestures of interest. If you would like to get to know me better ask for my phone number.

*drops keyboard and exits stage right*

4 comments:

Kristin Howell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin Howell said...

I agree. Facebook can't take the place of hearing a person's voice and talking for real.

AssertiveWit said...

I REALLY don't think that you are asking too much. The art of conversation is getting lost in all of this super fast technology...people would rather "talk" to your avatar than you...sad.

singlegirlie said...

It certainly is a different day, isn't it? It's not going to go away though. I will so not add anyone to Facebook. I don't want to know all the crap they're up to and I don't want them to see my shit either. Not that soon.