Thursday, May 30, 2013

Do Better


When you know better, you do better. - Maya Angelou
Oprah credits Maya Angelou for changing her life and easing her mind when she was feeling down about her own mistakes with this very quote. During an episode of the 'Oprah Winfrey Show' years ago, she stated the following:
Maya Angelou had said this to me once when I was talking to her about mistakes I had made in my youth.
                                 
And she was saying you did in your 20s what you knew how to do and when you knew better you did better and you should not be judged for the person that you were but for the person you are trying to be and the woman that you are now. -Oprah

Those words are so freeing from the hostage internally created from who I used to be or anything I used to do. She who has never made mistakes, is a better woman than I. Since I don't believe those people exist, I know that at times, we all fall short.  I also recognize the power I hold and hold no grudges towards those I willingly gave that power to. Why? Because I didn't know any better.

Now that I know better, I do better.



No comments: